There are many practical tips to minimise our chances of catching any bug that's going around:
- Regular and thorough handwashing
- Keeping your hands off your face
- Coughing and sneezing into your elbow
- Staying home from school/work if you are feeling unwell - honouring the bodies need for rest and recovery allows us to regain our health more rapidly, as well as not sharing the germs
Many of you will have heard that stress is the cause of a lot of modern illness. But are you aware of why that is? In short, stress weakens our immune system increasing our susceptibility to illness. In flight/fight mode (aka the stress response) our bodies deem it a priority to deal to the danger. All our energy resources are diverted to either fleeing, or staying to fight. Our digestive system shuts down (so we are also no longer absorbing essential nutrients from our food), our IQ decreases by approximately 40% due to the increased cortisol in our system, and our immunity is compromised. When we restore the balance, that is, we return to Rest and Restore mode, our body resumes normal duties - our digestive system activates, our immunity comes back on line and we get our common sense back.
How can we maintain that balance when there is so much stress and fear present in our communities right now?
- Breathe - the simplest way to reset the autonomic nervous system is to breathe. Become aware of your breathing when you feel stressed, it will be fairly rapid and quite shallow. We need to deepen that breath, right into the belly. A big breath in for the count of 4....hold for 4...breathe out for 4....pause for 4....and repeat. As many times as needed, as many times in a day that you need. You will feel the difference.
- Find the calm in the chaos - practice the pause, slow down, be present with what is going on around you. Take a moment to appreciate what you have. Meditate if you feel guided to. You can use the breathing technique above, or check out one of the many options on the Insight Timer app (or another app - I do like this one). There are great options for sleep meditations too, if you are finding falling asleep difficult.
- Energy Healing - Energy healing practices such as Yoga, Meditation and Reiki all serve to calm the body and mind, resetting the Autonomic Nervous system, releasing the stress and bringing the body back to a balanced state.
- Essential oils such as:
- Lavender - calms the mind
- Roman Chamomile - encourages living from your centre, brings peace
- Sandalwood - Calms the mind and stills the heart
- Spikenard - Opens the soul to acceptance and gratitude
- Vetiver - supports feelings of being grounded and centred
Other things we can do to support ourselves
- Eat nutrient rich food. With the internet, there are so many recipes to explore and create. Some of my favourite sites are: www,cavegirl.co.nz www.realfoodpledge.com www.elanaspantry.com
- Ground yourself - plenty of meditations are available for this. I even have one here
- Keep your vibration high. Strive to stay out of the collective fear - ask yourself "What would LOVE do?" Minimise your exposure to the news if possible. While some information is necessary, there is no need to be tuned in all day - and that goes for social media too.
So, stay grounded, breathe deep, radiate love and remember the practical stuff.
We got this.
Much love and many blessings x